Contest for Unpublished Work
PNWA Literary Contest: Create, Develop, Submit
There comes a time when you know you need to send your work out in the world and see what readers think. The PNWA Literary Contest offers that opportunity. Every entry receives two valuable critiques – feedback that will help you grow as a writer. There are also cash prizes. First, second and third place winners are chosen by agents and publishers. Winners are announced every year at the Summer Conference in front of writers, agents and publishers. There are 12 categories and you can enter more than one. All for just $35 per entry for current PNWA members/ $50 per entry for non-members. What are you waiting for? Be bold and enter.
Entry Options for PNWA 2017 Literary Contest
Based on your feedback, we’ve made some changes to our contest this year. You will still be able to enter via mail or online. However, the online process is a hybrid one. You submit your manuscript online, but you mail in your entry form and a self-addressed stamped envelope to receive your critiques in the mail. We feel this is the best way to ensure everyone receives their critiques in a timely manner.
DEADLINE: ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 17, 2017.
To enter by Mail,
follow the directions HERE.
To enter Online
, you will find the directions HERE.
Click the following links for more information:
rules & guidelines
- romance/women's fiction
- young adult
- middle grade
- short story
- children's picture/chapter book
- adult short topics (articles/essays/memoir)
prizes & benefits
- FIRST PLACE: $600
- SECOND PLACE: $300
- THIRD PLACE: $100
- Winners are selected by an agent or editor attending our conference.
- Winners will be announced at the PNWA summer conference.
- Mingle with agents and editors during our 2017 summer conference.
- Every entry accepted in the contest will receive two critiques.
- The eight finalists in each category will be notified in June 2017 prior to the PNWA summer conference (July 20 - 23, 2017).
- Finalists who attend the PNWA summer conference will be given high visibility during the conference.
PNWA Literary Contest Entrant: Connie Curley
"Because of the Pacific Northwest Writers Association, two of my articles have recently been published.
First, buoyed by favorable comments on an item I had entered in the 2007 PNWA Literary Contest, I submitted it to several magazines for publication. It was purchased by Mature Living magazine and appears in their July 2009 issue.
Second, a PNWA eNotes which was sent out the end of November 2007 included a "Call for Stories From Cancer Patient." The selected submissions were to be included in an upcoming book by Dr. Bernie Siegel. The book came out in April of this year, and my story is a part of it.
Thank you for the inspiration and the information!"